July 20, 2009

Muscle Building Monday

May I introduce my new FAVORITE lift: the shoulder press squat. There's probably a fancier name for it, but this is how I referred to it in the beginning so I would remember how to do it. :) I love it. I think I love it because I really have to concentrate to not fall over, and the more I concentrate on a lift, the more "enjoyment" I get from it. (Stop laughing at me. I'm being serious here.)

Shoulder Press Squat
works your shoulders, glutes, thighs, and calves.

Grab a weight bar or a dumbbell in each hand and get in position to do a shoulder press by bending your elbows to lower your hands to shoulder level, palms facing out. Squat down and inhale - you're ready to begin. As you exhale, push through your heels to come up from the squat until you're on your tip-toes while doing the shoulder press at the same time (push the weights in your hands straight up to the ceiling). You'll know you're timing it right when your arms almost fully extended (never completely extended) at the exact time you're on your toes. Slowly return to beginning position.

2 sets, 10-12 reps.

3 comments:

Six Pack Abs Guide said...

I love Leg Lunges(most people hate it) because of its balancing requirements. I am on my way to
get six pack abs
and working my leg section for muscle mass definitely works to my goal. I begin coming to gym some 2 months ago with my diet harnessed and so I am learning new things along the way...

Anonymous said...

Kudos on Muscle Mondays! I had fallen off and out, but am back in the game!

Hadley said...

I've got a couple of great physical exercise positions but i want to know if you will find any i havent carried out , so just name it and how to do it.