August 20, 2008

"The Women"

A while ago I posted about Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty and how much I love it. Many women and girls struggle with their own body/self image, thinking they're not perfect; some go to extremes to change what they've been given or hurt their bodies in an attempt to find this so-called perfection. I will always very loudly proclaim that accepting one's imperfections with a smile is what's beautiful! Hollywood/the media prevent women & girls from accepting their imperfections by not explaining how much prep work (air brushing, hours of professional make-up and hair styling, designer clothing, etc) goes into making Hollywood's imperfections momentarily disappear.

"The Women" is a new movie staring Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett Smith, Cloris Leachman, Bette Midler and Candice Bergen and opens in theaters September 12, 2008.

Dove was involved by making a mini documentary of the film (found here). This documentary includes a 16 year old journalist interviewing the cast of "The Women," asking them questions like "What do you think is beautiful?" Their answers are far from the Hollywood stereotype! Members of the cast openly admit to having insecurities about their looks. I agree with what they find to be beautiful. Go watch the mini documentary!

I think the best part about this short film was when the 16 year old was able to get her hair and make-up done professionally. What an eye-opener to a teenager. Those hair and make-up artists are just that -- artists. (On top of that, pictures are airbrushed till there's almost no real person left.)

In my opinion, real beauty isn't looks. Real beauty is confidence, wisdom, humor, kindness. It'd be a waste of time to try to be friends with someone who's gorgeous but is completely arrogant and rude to you. The more you see admirable characteristic traits/qualities in a person, the more you want to share a friendship with that person -- regardless of looks (unless you're totally shallow). Do you agree that there's a connection between real beauty and real friendships?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CANT WAIT TO WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY.

Ill be back....

Kaci said...

I agree!

Anonymous said...

Im in!

The Shabby Princess said...

I can't wait to see that movie. I'll have to check out the documentary. I love the Dove campaign--I wish more companies could do things like that. I know I need to work on my body image, but, I'm an adult and I can control how I feel, I love that Dove is really putting effort forward with young girls--I would hate it if my actions influenced a young girl to feel bad about herself.